Note! The University of Melbourne Archives does not accept unsolicited donations or transfers of records, archives or other items without prior agreement.
Services to the University of Melbourne
All official records of the central administration, faculties, schools and departments come to UMA once they have been appraised and processed under the policies and procedures established by the University's Records Services. UMA acquires the records of academic staff, alumni, clubs and societies in accordance with the Collection Development Policy.
The University of Melbourne Archives does not accept unsolicited donations or transfers of records, archives or other items without prior agreement. Please do not send records, archives or other material to us without contacting us first. Unsolicited donations may be returned to sender and where no return address is provided may be disposed of without further recourse to the donor or transferor.
For external donor inquiries contact (email@example.com). University staff and students seeking advice or wishing to transfer university archives should contact Archivist Melinda Barrie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you for your understanding.
Services to depositors
Many businesses, organisations and individuals have deposited their records with UMA to enable research and for preservation.
Benefits to Depositors include:
- records are safely stored in UMA's repository which is equipped with state-of-the-art climate control, security, monitoring, and fire systems;
- records are repackaged as appropriate into acid free materials to aid long term preservation;
- authorised representatives of the depositor may have access to records on twenty-four hours notice;
- where records are on long-term loan from businesses and organisations, small numbers of records may be removed on the expectation that the records will return to UMA when their use is completed (courier costs must be covered by the owner);
- at our discretion collections may be gifted to the University under the Cultural Gifts Program of the Commonwealth Government.
Conditions of deposit and access
Before records can be transferred to UMA, they need to be considered against UMA collection policy, appraised and accepted at our discretion.
The Collection Development Policy describes the types of records collected by UMA. People interested in depositing records at UMA are asked to read this policy before making contact.