The finding aids for the Greer Archive are available through the University of Melbourne Archives online catalogue. We recommend that researchers consult these for a better understanding of the content of the collection in order to request material.
The Greer Archive is a restricted access collection. The archive is open to everyone but all researchers, both new and existing, need to be aware of the conditions under which access is granted.
If you’re interested in accessing the collection, here’s what you need to do:
- Contact the Deputy Archivist via firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your project and make an appointment to meet and sign a Deed of Undertaking.
- Researchers are advised to read the University of Melbourne Archives Access Management Framework before meeting with the Archivist. This is a framework for exercising care, diligence and equity in providing access to all Archives collections, including the Greer Archive
- Researchers must register in the Reading Room Aeon system and sign a Deed of Undertaking before they can order and view records. The Deed covers privacy, defamation, confidentiality and cultural sensitivity. The University Archivist will supply these forms.
- After you meet with the Deputy Archivist, you can order paper and audio records via the Aeon system to access in the supervised Reading Room at the Baillieu Library. As a restricted access collection, the following conditions apply in the Reading Room:
- You can order a maximum of 5 boxes at a time. These boxes will be held for you at the Reading Room for no more than 10 working days.
- Researchers will be able to look at one box at a time at the desk.
- Please handle the records with care and keep them in the order you find them.
- There is only one terminal in the Reading Room for listening to and viewing audio-visual records. Files will be loaded onto a standalone machine. Files cannot be copied or downloaded.
- Researchers will not be able to copy or digitise any records for personal research use. Mobile phones will not be allowed at the desk in the Reading Room.
- Researchers must contact the University of Melbourne Archives for enquiries about copying and publishing.