A degree course in Mining Engineering had been available since 1901, and a lecturer in metallurgy attached to the Chemistry Department was appointed in the same year (though J D Kirkland had commenced tuition in the subject in 1874).
Courses leading formally to a Diploma in Mining and to a Diploma in Metallurgy suitable for mine managers were available from 1906. The Mining and Metallurgy School building designed by Bates, Peebles & Smart to echo the style of the first engineering building was occupied in 1906.
J.N. Greenwood was appointed foundation professor of Metallurgy in 1924. In 1945 his department attracted funds from industry to establish the Baillieu Research Laboratory and endow a chair of Metallurgical Research, which Greenwood occupied until 1964.
Changing demand and budgetary restrictions led to the closure of the department in 1982.