In 1936 following an appeal for funds the Union building was substantially extended and remodelled. The Women's Christmas fete alone, organised by the Town and Gown Guild, raised £6,500 made up to £10,000 by Mrs G. (later Dame Hilda) Stevenson.
Spacious Men's and Women's cloak and lounge rooms, a large cafeteria on the ground floor, a buffet for formal occasions on the first floor, a dining hall and a common room for staff and a well-equipped kitchen were added.
The interior of the Old Museum was refurbished with a billiard room, club rooms, meeting rooms and offices. At the south end the library endowed by Dr A E Rowden-White, which included gramophone records provided by the Carnegie Corporation, was developed on the first floor.
The Common Room and Entertainment Hall was transformed into a distinctive theatre equipped by Australian Paper Manufacturers.