In the immediate post-war environment of growth, all the residential colleges of the University added extensions and a new on-campus college for Catholic women (St Mary’s, previously in residential Parkville) was completed to the south of Newman College in 1964.
St Hilda’s, a new college for women sponsored by Queen’s and Ormond Colleges, opened in the same year.
Halls of residence were also supported including Medley Hall (opened in 1950 in the old 'Benvenuto' in Drummond Street, Carlton).
Another hall of residence, International House opened in 1956, and two new colleges, the Anglican Ridley College and Baptist Whitley College were affiliated in the 1960s. Graduate House affiliated in 1972.
Few might have predicted that so soon after all this expansion the colleges would find themselves advertising for students by 1971. Student preference for more independent living left the colleges searching for a new formula - and in 1972 International House led the way with the admission of women. By the mid-1970s almost all the colleges were co-educational and the style of living more relaxed - less like a boarding school and more like a hostel.