The Melbourne University Film Society (MUFS) was formed in 1948. The Society provided film screenings during evenings and lunch hours. MUFS collaborated with the Victorian Federation of Film Societies and the Australian Film Institute, to launch the Melbourne Film Festival in 1952.
In 1984, the Society had changed their name to Melbourne Cinematheque. The Melbourne Cinematheque is a self-administered, volunteer-run/non-profit and membership-driven organisation. The Cinematheque is the largest and longest-running film society in Australia. They aim to screen films in their original medium and format.
The Melbourne University Film Society (MUFS) collection comprises of film journals, correspondence between Australian and international institutions, financial accounts/ photographs, material from distributors, newspaper cuttings/proposals, programmes/posters and cassettes.
Regular committee meetings were held to discuss the aims and proposed activities of the organisation. The collection also includes the minute books from 1948-68.
Box 20 contains the minute books from 1948-1956, 1958-1960, 1965 and 1968. Box 19 contains the minute books from 1960-1966.
Please note: The minute books for 1957 and 1967 are missing.