The extensive Melbourne University Press collection contains board minutes, marketing and author files, catalogues and editorial procedure guides.
Melbourne University Press (MUP) commenced operations in 1922. At first supplying text books and other educational supplies to students and staff, MUP published its first book, Myra Willard's History of the White Australia Policy in 1923. In 1940 Gwyn James took charge, concentrating on "the policy of making the press a first rate publishing house in the learned and literary fields". MUP was privatised in 2002 and renamed Melbourne University Publishing. Today, MUP publishes a wide range of Australian work under three imprints; Melbourne University Press, Miegunyah Press and MUP Academic.
MUP’s first director was Stanley Addison. In the 1930s, the Press was incorporated in a University statute, and in 1932 Frank Wilmot ("Furnley Maurice") was appointed Manager under a Board of Management. The MUP Board of Management collection holds one minute book detailing the actions of the board 1964-1977, whilst the larger Melbourne University Press collection holds material such as MUP catalogues, photographs, press cuttings, editorial files and administrative records.